Friday, December 17, 2010

Whiter Than Snow

"Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed: thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow."
 ~ Psalm 51:7




Are you ever hesitant about going to Confession? I sometimes am.
I did NOT want to come out walking this evening, either. I made myself. I was warm and cozy inside with a cup of tea. But I knew what was waiting outside my doorstep, Outside my COMFORT ZONE.
Yes. Living for Christ means leaving the comfort zone of our SELVES to become more like HIM.



The snow blankets the earth and gifts the world with newness.
Confession does better. Festering wounds, guilt, ugliness aren't just covered up; it is all erased.
Confession isn't about me. It isn't about what I have done wrong , and I have to confess my sins to 'appease an angry God.'
CONFESSION IS ABOUT HIM, a loving merciful father who is waiting to gift US with NEWNESS OF
SOUL. LOVE. REBIRTH.
 But in the same way I didn't want to go out walking, we sometimes have to FORCE ourselves to be open to God's grace and go to confession. All too often, we can become like the bees in Winter,
nestled in our hives,
hoping to make it off the grace we have, instead of entering the land of milk and HONEY. We don't have to be stingy with the grace God gives us; he always gives  more than enough to the heart that seeks him.

"But where sin increased, grace abounded all the more." ~ Romans 5:20




Confession is a sacrament, and what is a sacrament?
"A sacrament is an outward sign INSTITUTED BY CHRIST to give GRACE." (Baltimore Catechism)
Everything God gives us: commandments, sacraments, laws, EVERYTHING is given to us to partake in the DIVINE JOY that only comes through union with God.
"THOU SHALT WASH ME, AND I WILL BE WHITER THAN SNOW."






And isn't this how you feel after Confession? I do. I feel overjoyed! I was also happy that I made myself walk this evening! Think of what I would have missed...