Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summer School

The Summer School session has begun at the Smithdeal home. Please allow me to share with you some of the courses the children are taking this summer:

1. Discovering the great outdoors:


Our beloved walk to the creek is a daily ritual. Many days we walk in the afternoon and evening. It is a short (about 1/4 mile) but lovely walk.



2. Fun:



3.Snorkeling:



4.Photography:



5.Biking:


(Right before I took this picture Mary Margaret said: "I taught myself two things so far this summer: swimming and how to ride a bike.")

6.Swimming:



7.Drawing:



8.Nature Appreciation:




9. Math All Around Us (Check out the Fibonacci sequence) and another family who is including the same topic of study in their "summer school":



10. Making Connections...We like to read books about what we have seen when we get home:



11. Discovering Life:



Siblings make the best teachers!:



Observation is a handy learning tool:



12. Inventing:

(this is Mary Margaret with her new cleaning tool- a sponge on a stick, used to clean nooks and crannies):


And last of all, I had to share this interesting "rock" Ben found...We can't figure out what it is exactly. I use it to hold up this Cassat print in my kitchen window. When I look at this picture, I am reminded to be gentle and nurturing to my children. I love when nature provides a useful, beautiful object!: