Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tommy's Coloring Book, Soup, and A Lovely Prayer




I'm not so fond of coloring books, but Tommy loves them! He spends hours coloring pictures...and is so proud of them. When we were at the book sale last week, he picked out a coloring book. I didn't think much of it...until I started seeing the pages scattered about the house.

"I like this coloring book! Look at all the great sayings on the pages..." I was talking to Will, and we chuckled over the quotes on the pages: sayings from Aristotle, Shakespeare, Ann Frank...

"I don't see why it matters. He can't read them, anyway, " Will said dismissively.

I think it matters. Any time we can add beauty to our lives, no matter in how small a way, it matters.





Soup~

Here is a soup I made yesterday that I was pleased with. The recipe came from Health magazine. To make it even more appealing, I used wild greens in place of Spinach and the green tips of onion "grass" in place of scallions. It's called Egg Flower Soup. And here's how to make it:

In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups chicken broth to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Stir in 2 cups Spinach leaves, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, and 1/2 tsp salt, allowing the spinach to wilt in the soup. Stir well until the chicken broth is swirling in circles. Slowly pour  2 beaten eggs into the soup, and continue to stir gently for about 30 seconds. Sprinkle 3 Tablespoons thinly sliced scallions onto the soup and serve hot!




A Lovely Prayer
from Rainer Maria Rilke's Book Of Hours


You see, I want a lot.

Perhaps I want everything:
the darkness that comes with every infinite fall
and the shivering blaze of every step up.

So many live on and want nothing
and are raised to the rank of prince
by the slippery ease of their light judgments.
But what you love to see are faces
that so work and feel thirst....

You have not grown old, and it is not too late
to dive into your increasing depths
where life calmly gives out its own secret.