Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cups Overflowing




"Look at all the mugs!," my friend said as she looked about my messy kitchen. It was true; mugs littered every surface. There must have been forty mugs out, and it was only 1:00. Right then and there I made a decision, quickly followed by a proclamation:

"That's it! Each person gets one mug. One! And I'm dealing with this right now!"
As I frantically searched for a box to put mugs in, Ami explained how she invested in dish sets, a color for each family member. I liked the idea, but I didn't want to go out and buy new mugs. So I assigned each child a mug from the ones we already had and packed up all of the other ones.

The first three days of our new "mug system," I became the cup Nazi.

"That's not your mug. Where is your cup?"

"Dad used it for his coffee."

"Travis, this is your mug. You have to use it! And you're not allowed to use the kids' mugs!!"

And you know what? I now have a wonderful husband who is also using an assigned mug!!
..Now, if I could just remember to use my mug!!!




All the dither about mugs and an abundance of children, the desire to serve seeming to clash with the need to simplify had me stymied.

My mind is crowded with cups and abundance- the overflow of cups in my life that I continually try to fill, the longing to do it all, feel it all, be it all, when ....

when only one cup is necessary.

I need to live my life with one mug. It's that simple. If I hold out my cup each morning and ask God to fill it, he will. He will never leave my cup empty.

Yes, surely "my cup overflows." (psalm 23:5) And yours will too, if only you allow him to fill it for you.

And when I allow him to fill my one cup, I find that the other cups are no longer needed....

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
~Matthew 6:33