Thursday, September 30, 2010

Glorious Muffins

In an effort to be more efficient, we made muffins and zucchini bread at the same time. It turned out to be the perfect distraction for a rainy day, as the girls each had their own bowls to stir.




My sister Erin, introduced me to Morning Glory Muffins when we were all staying at the beach a couple of years ago. They are very healthy! We bake them in jumbo muffin tins. The recipe comes from the Earthbound Farms Cookbook, but I found they have the same recipe posted on their website (the one I linked to).



There are a few modifications I make to the recipe that make the muffins better (in my opinion). I use less baking soda (a little over 1 1/2 tsp instead of 2) and I add 1/2 cup of yogurt to the wet ingredients. I also use whole wheat pastry flour for 2 cups of the all purpose flour.


The girls pretty much ate lunch while we made the muffins- snacking on raisins, pecans, coconut, pineapple, shredded carrots!

Tommy proudly displays a finished muffin: